If you receive Windows Update error 80240016 while trying to install updates, it typically means that another installation is in progress. Wait until the installation is finished, and then try installing updates again. If you’re not sure which programs or devices are being installed or updated, check the notification area on your computer for progress information, or check your desktop or taskbar to see if an installation wizard is running. If the problem is still occurring, try using the Windows Update Troubleshooter.
If that didn’t work, try the following steps.
To stop and restart a system program
- Close any open Windows Update or Microsoft Update windows.
- Click the Start button , and then type Command Prompt.
- In the list of results, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as Administrator. If you’re prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
- In the Command prompt window, type the following commands. Press the Enter key after each command:net stop wuauservnet start wuauserv
- To close the Command prompt window, type Exit, and then press Enter.
- Run Windows Update again.